Wednesday 16 March 2016

Nick Knight - photography

Nick Knight

Nick Knight was born in 1958 in London
Nick is a fashion photographer who had/has collaborations between Yohji Yamamoto, John Galliano and Alexander McQueen. He made advertisement campaigns for people like Christian Dior, Tom Ford, LancĂ´me, Calvin Klein and Swarovski. Nick also directed music videos for Lady Gaga, Kanye West and Bjork.
He was awarded an OBE (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) in 2010 for his "services to the arts".


I've never really looked photography as it's never really interested me, sure I take pictures with my phone all the time, but to go out to just take pictures is completely beyond me. I've never looked up photographers until now, nor commented on them seriously, so in truth I'm having some difficulty with this.  



"Lady Gaga" Vanity fair 2010

At first glance at the photo, I think it's pretty. Her face is almost like it's hidden with the lighting face on which usually highlights the face but most of her features are hidden which is ironic because of Lady Gaga's personality. This makes me think about what i would do if I were to try and capture someone's personality since with her, she's usually in bright and unusual clothing and perhaps that is what the photographer was trying to capture rather than her.




"Lady Gaga" vanity fair 2010

The first thing i notice in this picture is that she is not central and in fact the photographer was using the rule of thirds making her more to the right. The second thing I notice is that the dress is very cloud like and he adds/edits more light loud like things more to the left of the picture, initially making her look rather angelic.

So far from what I've seen, his photos are interesting but I don't feel a connection with them, so i decided to try and find my interest in them so i looked more into his work and I found this one which is different from the other two as it has a splash of colour.



"War" - big magazine 1997





No comments:

Post a Comment